The Municipality of Nea Smyrni occupies 3,520 acres of land, which are spread to the south of the city of Athens. To the west it borders with the Municipality of Kallithea, in the south with the Municipality of Paleo Faliro, in the east with the Municipality of Agios Dimitrios and in the north with the Municipalities of Dafni and Athens. It has an altitude of 59 meters above sea level, longitude 23.7141069546 and latitude 37.9429516694. As a Municipality, it belongs to the Regional Unit of the Southern Sector of the Attica Region. It borders on the north with Neos Kosmos, with Agios Dimitrios on the east, with Paleo Faliro on the south and with Kallithea on the west. It is connected to the center of Athens through Syggrou Avenue and the tram line, which connects it with other southern suburbs, such as Moschato, Paleo Faliro and Glyfada. The districts of the city are: Faros, Agia Fotini, Alsos, Center, Chrysaki, Agia Paraskevi, Mytilinaika, Loutra, Ano Nea Smyrni. Among the most important monuments of the city, stands out the Metropolitan Church of Agia Fotini with its bell tower, which is an exact copy of what was in Agia Fotini of Smyrna until the Destruction of 1922, while other important historical buildings in the area is the Palace of Estia Nea Smyrni, Iosifoglio Orphanage and the National Shelter.
According to the 2011 census the permanent population amounts to 73,076 of which 33,607 males and 39,469 females. The solar composition of the population based on the available data from the 2001 census (76,508 inhabitants) is: 0-5: 3.212 | 6-14: 6.811 | 15-24: 9.709 | 256-39: 17.967 | 40-54: 17.223 | 55-64: 8.798 | 65-79: 10.241 | 80+: 2,547 The population density is 20,736 inhabitants per sq / km, while the aging index is 1.28.
In antiquity in the area of today’s Municipality there were fields and the district was almost uninhabited. The area was outside the Athenian walls. Few archaeological remains have been found in Nea Smyrni. The few excavated ensembles have a burial character and are located mainly in the southwestern part of the modern municipality, ie the Faliriko wall, the current Syggrou Avenue. Essentially, the creation of the city begins with the arrival of the refugees of ’22. It was designed for the refugees of the middle and urban social strata, it was built after the turmoil of the first years of the refugee settlement had subsided and, most importantly, it was included in the city plan from the beginning. Initially as a settlement begins in the 1920s and then in the 1930s turns out to be a community and then became a municipality during the years of German occupation, in June 1943. The city developed mainly from the subsequent wave of internal migration in the 1960s and then reached its current form.
According to ELSTAT data, based on the business register, 5,610 companies operated in Nea Smyrni. The first place of economic activity was held by the construction sector (construction companies – architectural offices) at a rate of around 25% of the total activity, while in the second place came the services sector and in the third place the catering sector. It is natural that the business structure in the city has changed as the year 2010 is almost the beginning of the economic crisis with the consequence that the above mentioned branches of activity have diversified significantly, with the main decline in the construction sector. As a consequence of the economic crisis the unemployment rate was increased. According to the data of 2010, the structure of employment in all sectors of activity of the city was 33,211 employees (17,260 males & 15,951 females). According to the data of August 2015, the average unemployment in urban municipalities of the basin amounts to 24.5% (men and women). The main volume of employees was in the wholesale and retail trade and services sector.