1. Name of the practice
3. Years in operation
Ensure equal opportunities for education, stimulate will for education and learning and reward excellent results already accomplished.
5. Description - overwiew
City of Zagreb is allocating more than 50.000,00 kn every year for various scholarships schemes for high-school and university students.
There are six types of scholarships schemes:
– Scholarships for excellence is awarded for achieving excellent results in order to stimulate students to become creators of new ideas. Scholarship for excellence was established in 1992. So far, 3,841 scholarships have been awarded (1,698 scholarships to high-school students, 2,080 scholarships for students and 63 scholarships for PhD students). City of Zagreb have paid for this type of scholarships over 314,500,000.00 kunas. Annually City of Zagreb allocates around 20,000,000.00 kunas.
– City of Zagreb is awarding scholarship for high-school students who have been awarded first, second or third place on international competitions since 2007. It is awarded for the school year in which result is gained. So far, City of Zagreb awardwed 36 high-school students.
– From 2003 City of Zagreb is awarding Scholarships for high-school students for crafts occupations for which are defined that there is marketplace shortage. During the last 15 years, the City of Zagreb has awarded 1,657 students with about 54 million kunas. Annually City of Zagreb allocates around 2,5 million kunas for this scholarship.
– Scholarships for students of Roma national minority is awarded since 2012 with the goal to encourage students of Roma national minority to gain high-school education as well as to continue university education. Annually City of Zagreb allocates around 2 million kunas for this scholarship. From it’s beginning in 2012, City of Zagreb awarded 285 scholarships to high-school students and 23 scholarships to university students for which it was paid around 8 million kunas.
– Scholarships for students of poorer social status were established in 2007 and is established in order to compensate financial gap between family social status and will for education. One of the condition required to meet (among others) is average monthly income per student’s household member. So far, City of Zagreb awarded 463 scholarships: 225 to high-school students and 238 to university students for which was paid around 13 million kunas.
– Also since 2007., City of Zagreb is awarding Scholarships for students with disabilities. In past 12 years, City of Zagreb awarded 199 scholarships: 110 to high-school students and 89 to university students for which was paid around 12 million kunas.
6. Field of application
Children, teenagers and young adults.
50,000,000.00 kunas annually (6.703.940 EUR).
9 Evaluation - impact - outcomes
Number of students awarded with scholarships described above. 3,841 scholarships for excellence, 36 scholarships for high-school students who have been awarded first, second or third place on international competitions, 1,657 high-school students for crafts occupations, 308 scholarships to students of Roma national minority, 463 scholarships for students of poorer social status and 199 scholarships for students with disabilities.